Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Up for the challenge

Shaanti talked Missy (who will happen to be in town at the time) and me into signing up for a mini-triathlon held by the YMCA. It's called the "Y Not-Triathlon" and is the evening of August 6th. By the time we commited and registered, we had 4 weeks to train. So, I looked up the information on the web about the race itself, then found a 6 week training schedule for beginners for mini-triathlons and passed the info on. The race consists of a 400 meter (1/4 mile) swim in the Parkcenter pond, a 6 mile bike ride, then a 2.5 mile run. Now, I have to mention that this pond we will be swimming in is not just any murky pond out there. It is central to flocks of ducks and geese, thus is filled with floating bird poo. Yippee! Lets hope that the water that's been drippin in my mouth and, at times, seeping down my nasal passages while swimming in the pool can just NOT do the same while swimming this pond. Gross! The bike ride I'm not too worried about. For me, the run is what's gonna get me. I have yet to run even 2 miles. I'm not a runner. So, I guess I've just resigned myself to the fact that walking will be part of this run for me. But....I'm gonna keep pushing at it to run as much as possible. Anyway, so I have been training as have my sisters, and I'm excited and nervous to participate in this race. I'll keep you posted on how I do....

7 comments:

Shelli Bunn-Petterson said...

That sounds like a blast Jen. :)

Missy Small said...

Let's clarify RIGHT NOW that the run is 2 miles, not 2.5 miles. You about gave me a heart attack.

Howells Fam said...

Good luck - it all sounds fun except the floating bird poo... It will probably just add a little protein or something though. :)

Melanie said...

I don't envy your pond swim, but the mini-triathlon sounds like a blast otherwise. Good luck, you will do great! How fun to do it with your sisters.

joy said...

Go GET EM!!!!
Way to go Jen! If you remember me in swim class in college- that's all you need to think of when considering me for a triatholon.
I'm sure you'll do great. There's no shame in walking!!! Good luck!

Rece said...

Maybe the little lake thing will be clean. You never know. Miracles happen, right?

My blog address is:
http://www.purplepsychpatient.blogspot.com

Shelli's is:
http://www.rainbowwomansrainbowbrite

Brian and Dawn said...

Oh goodness Jenny, I don't know about all that bird poo!! Yikes!!