Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Getting adjusted


I have realized in the last 5 weeks exactly how much of an adjustment bringing home a new baby is. I didn't realize how when people say it's a full time job, that it really IS a full time job; an all consuming job. It's one of the most fulfilling, fun, and rewarding jobs there is, but can be very tiring. After 5 weeks, I'm feeling that I'm finally making the adjustment. Troy tends to be a little fussy in the evening (which I'm told is not uncommon, so we're not alone in this). The fussiness was, and still can be, tough to deal with, but it was especially at first. I've discovered its a learning curve, figuring out what and how to calm your baby. But I feel like we're getting it down. I've learned that Troy likes responds well when I step outside in the evening when its cool, and when I sing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star to him. Those two in combo have worked to putting him to sleep the last few times.


Along with the bits of fussy time, though, is lots of fun awake and alert times. Troy loves to be held up high to look over my shoulder, or to be held facing out so he can check things out. Chad has discovered that he also loves the "superman" position, something that always works to calm him down. He's got the most beautiful blue eyes with that adorable little face and always looks so stinkin' cute when he's lookin around. And he's starting to smile while he's awake. He definitely busts out some dang adorable smiles when he's sleeping, but its been fun to see him smile at us while he's awake. I'm not quite sure if its responsive to us yet, but should be soon. We've had lots of fun getting to know our son so far and look forward to watching him grow and change and seeing all the new and first things he does.

4 comments:

joy said...

I'm glad things are calming down. Luke was really fussy too. I just had to start expecting it every night about at the same time- get in the mode- and not stop until he calmed down. Before I knew it- he had grown out of that stage. I want to get together before summer is out! Sorry I missed last Thursday. we were just arriving home- and were exhausted!

Missy Small said...

Only a few days until he gets to meet his Aunt Missy! I can hardly wait!

Meet the Bucher's said...

He's sooooo cute! I loved getting to hold him lots yesterday at bible study. Can't wait for Friday night, we'll have to do something fun!

Joyful Mama said...

That is a cute mommy/son picture! You are doing a great job!!! It gets easier as they get older. We will pray for both of you. See you soon!